Week 1 Match-ups













I can't believe the season is only one month away.

Here's a very short preview of the upcoming Week 1 match-ups.

Please add your thoughts.


# 9 - Wolcott at Killingly - :yawn:

# 8 - Sacred Heart at Cheney RVT - Dear Hearts, please score 50 and do not give up more than 10 points. Thanks.

#7 - Holy Cross at Wilby - Will the Crusaders be that dominating squad we saw in a couple of games last season or will they continue to squeak-by mediocre opponents?

#6 - Watertown at Kennedy - This game will tell us all we need to know about Watertown and its new coach. Or maybe not. It's only week one. I'd love to see this game just to see what Watertown has in-store for the rest of the league.

#5 - Torrington at East Lyme - I saw Torrington earlier this week. I think they are a decent squad but they definitely need some work in a few spots if they want to be the real Raiders of the NVL. East Lyme had a hell of a run last season. I only saw one of their games and don't know who they have returning. Even then, this makes for an interesting week one match-up.

#4 - Seymour at Naugatuck - This has the potential to be an outstanding game. That is, if the 'Cats can roll into Naugatuck and put a hurting on the Greyhounds. I think what's more likely to happen is that Naugy wins by two TDs. Just think of how disappointing it would be for the Hounds to drop their opener to the young 'Cats after several people have said the Hounds have a good squad this season.

#3 - Crosby at St. Joe's - Obviously a really tough game for the Bulldogs. Hopefully this isn't a disaster for the league. I would love for Crosby to pound St. Joe's. However, from what I saw last season and knowing St. Joe's still has a lot of firepower coming back, I'll be surprised is Crosby brings this one home. Go 'Dogs.

#2 - Derby at St. Paul - Welcome back to the NVL, Derby. Enjoy that awesome...ugh, long, bus ride up to Bristol. I know JoeTheShot will be there with some updates for us. I've seen Derby twice this off-season and they will come at you big time. Everything I've heard about Coach Kelly is that his teams are always well-coached and ready to play. This will be a really good battle and we'll see if the Falcons can continue where they left-off (tough loss to New Canaan, but it was a nice ride). They've lost some big-time players. Derby looks like they have more firepower this year, especially at wide-out. I'll take Derby over the Falcons. The Raiders will be pumped as hell after this game. This one's for you, oldschool. Cheers.

#1 - Woodland at Ansonia - On paper, this has the potential to be the biggest week-one brawl within the NVL. DeBiase vs. Dobbs. Young QBs. Young everything for the Chargers. I'm excited to see how the Chargers play. Couldn't ask for a better opponent to start the season. I expect this game to be the grudge match of all grudge matches. Woodland's play-action will be key. Ansonia's blocking up-front will be key. I'm also anxious to see Lester out in the open field. Just a month away.