Hamden Hall at Derby - Scrimmage

The Red Raiiiiiiiiiiiiders [Chris Berman voice] hosted the Hornets this blazing hot afternoon.



Derby began the scrimmage on offense. They surprised me. Then again, this was my first time seeing Hamden Hall in action and they did not look like a very good squad. Anyhow, Derby's RB, Rashawn Hendricks came out of the gate racking-up some good yardage on the ground. He had two nice runs to the outside on the first drive. I was just waiting for Tomczak to do some work (we'll get to that in a bit).

Derby had three nice plays to start the series before fumbling the ball on a slant pattern. The drive went for about 45 yards.

Ray Kreiger, the Derby QB, certainly did not look bad today. I caught a glimpse of him during Derby's spring game and he didn't look too good. He had just come off of baseball, though.


And then there's Tomczak. He caught a five yard bullet from Kreiger for a TD. Derby had two plays remaining after this score. Krieger and Tomczak hooked-up for a 65-yd score down the Derby sideline on the very next play. On the final play of the drive, Derby's "other" receiver (his name escapes me) caught a 35-yard strike from Kreiger. This kid has some size and ran over two Hamden Hall defenders after catching a pass.


The "hogs" were busy having their way with the Hornets. Derby's O and D lines were impressive. They were playing with very high intensity. I felt it as soon as I walked onto the field. Parents screaming, kids cheering-on their teammates, and the hits they were putting on the Hamden Hall backs and receivers - I must say Derby impressed me a bit. Their secondary played very well - not allowing any big plays despite HH spreading Derby out...sometimes five-wide.

HH did manage to put up a score on a three yard pass.

The future looks bright for this group over in Derby. I already see a change in the way these kids go out there and compete compared to last season.

Oldschool...I couldn't quite see you, but I heard you out there. hahahahaha